The future belongs to cloud computing
Advantages of cloud computing for providers and users
Companies that get their data and systems from cloud computing benefit from higher flexibility and low costs. However, cloud computing is also risky. Information security, data protection and compliance are at the top of the list of things to scrutinise more closely.
Using and paying for IT resources only when needed this is now possible with cloud computing. Up till now, cloud computing was mainly used to support processes. However, an encompassing strategy to integrate cloud computing generally did not exist. If the right strategy is deployed, users will be able to benefit from a number of advantages:
+ Advantages of cloud computing for users
- Savings because you only pay for what you use
- Fewer investments in hardware/software
- Fewer in-house IT personnel necessary
- Competitive advantage because product and business processes are implemented more swiftly thanks to flexible technology support
- Competitive advantage due to shorter start-up period thanks to agile technology support
- Business models have enhanced innovation potential due to the combination and integration of cloud services
- IT capacities can be adjusted to clients' needs more quickly
- You can focus on your core competences instead of on the installation, maintenance and security of your IT
Of course, software providers must expect to radically adjust their business models, nevertheless, cloud computing holds numerous advantages for providers:
+ Advantages of cloud computing for providers
- Virtualisation and the capacity to serve multiple clients will mean ideal capacity utilisation and excellent economies of scale for the price setting
- Comprehensive standardisation enables a homogenous and cost-efficient infrastructure management and creates synergies
- Converting existing processes and solutions into cloud services will offer new business possibilities as an outsourcing provider
- New distribution channels can be created by making services available on mobile devices
PwC as a strategic partner in cloud computing
Our team of experts is thoroughly up-to-date on the current developments in the cloud market. Amongst other things they can help you:
- conduct a holistic positioning exercise using our Readiness4Cloud maturity model
- develop a comprehensive and integrated cloud computing strategy
- develop qualitative and quantitative business cases for your intended cloud business
- fulfil compliance requirements and ensure your cloud service design is compliant with legal requirements
- provide a systematic analysis and answers in regard to data privacy topics
- with all security-related aspects of your cloud activities to ensure your company reaches the desired level of security
- with all contractual aspects related to cloud computing, ranging from the decision on a particular service to an RFP for such a service through to the design and negotiation, amendment or termination of a contract
- review or certify your cloud services for internationally recognised standards, such as ISO 27001, SAS70-II, ISAE 3402, etc.
- adapt your processes and design a supply and/or demand management function/organisation
For more information, read the PDF document:
PwC's presence at the special show on cloud computing held during the CeBIT 2011
PwC held various talks on pressing subjects and participated as panellists during the special fair entitled "Cloud World" held during CeBIT 2011. Get more information on opinions on the many facets of cloud computing from PwC and political representatives.
Videos Cloud Computing (in German)
Cloud Computing - Navigating the Cloud
The PwC survey "Cloud Computing - Navigating the Cloud" finds that cloud computing presents many opportunities of growth. Nearly three quarter of all companies surveyed expect that the number of cloud services in their particular business will increase in the midterm. No one expects to lose revenue.
Cloud Computing survey
10 Minutes Cloud Computing
Get a quick overview of advantages and risks of cloud computing in the folder "10 Minutes Cloud Computing".
10 Minutes Cloud Computing